Friday, May 17, 2013

Marriage in the Covenant



     During Abraham’s life he had high concerns for his son Isaac. In chapter 24 of Genesis he expressed his concern for his son to marry a woman in the covenant. While looking at Deuteronomy 7:1-4, 1 Corinthians 11:11, and 2 Corinthians 6:14 the Lord explains why we should not marry someone “outside the covenant.” Not only was Abraham worried about it, but we should also be worried. One verse that is really liked was 2 Corinthians 6:14 and it says “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness?” This scripture is a great one to remember. Without someone who shares your own values there is no way to rely on them to strengthen your testimony and share in your spiritual desires. The likelihood of apostasy is much greater when we don't have a companion in the Lord. 

Using Rebekah as an example we can see character traits that as a wife, I hope to have
1.      She was chaste! (v. 16)
2.      Served others (v. 18-19)
3.      Honest (v. 30-31)
4.      Trust in the Lord (v. 51)
     She was willing to put her trust in the Lord and leave her home and family to be with a worthy man, Isaac.
In chapters 27 and 28 of Genesis, Rebekah and Isaac are worried about Jacob marrying out of the covenant as well. They tell him to go to Padan-aram to find a worthy wife. When Jacob finds Rachel he is willing to serve Laban for seven years in order to marry her! He loved her so much that he was willing to happily give his life to her father.
     I think this is a great example of what we should be willing to do in order to marry in the temple. I was lucky enough to find my husband here and to be able to be sealed in the temple. I knew that in order to find a worthy priesthood holder I would have to leave Ohio and go to a place where I could meet single members that were my age and doing the things I was doing. Being sealed in the covenant has brought so many blessings to my life and I am grateful that I was able to find a man that had the same values as I had. I love this gospel and because my husband does too we are able to grow in the gospel and to encourage one another to become more like Christ each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment