Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Brazen Serpent


The story of the Brazen serpent is an interesting one and one that shows the love and anger of the Lord. The Israelites were wandering in the wilderness with Moses and began to murmur against him and the Lord. The Lord heard their murmurings and cast fiery serpents upon them. Many of the people died but when the people repented the Lord made a way for them to be cleansed. It was quite simple, all they had to do was look upon the serpent on Moses' staff and they would be healed.

This story has quite a bit of symbolism.  When we have sinned or are unclean we can look to the Lord for forgiveness and repent of our sins and we can be made whole once again because of the atonement. The Lord has set up things that we can draw on for healing our physical ailments and spiritual ones. When we are sick we are able to receive priesthood blessings from a worthy priesthood holder. When we are spiritually burdened we can turn to the scriptures, our patriarchal blessing, or even the Bishop for guidance and redemption.

The most recent experience I've had of the healing power of the Atonement is when I had my daughter. Due to complications during my labor I had to have an emergency c-section and it was very hard on my body and my mind. During my recovery I was able to receive a blessing from my husband and father-in-law. I wasn't healed right away of course but I was comforted and I knew that the pain would pass. I felt as though the reminder that my Savior loved me and would bless me for bringing one of His children into the world. I knew that I had been given strength and confidence through that blessing. I have a strong testimony of the healing power of the Atonement and I try to take advantage of the Lord's love for me when ever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment