Saturday, February 7, 2015

Seeing Life Clearly

Jerusalem, the Holy City. (Picture from LDS.org)


  • The book of Ecclesiastes consists of reflections on the deepest problems of life.
  • The author describes himself as son of David, king of Jerusalem.
  • Ecclesiastes is written from the point of view of the world.
  • Ecclesiastes should not be construed as theological pronouncements on life after death.
     In Ecclesiastes 1–2 the author seeks happiness but couldn’t find it. The author sought wisdom but in the wisdom only gained sorrow. (1:16-18)
He sought wine and no joy filled him. (2:3) He made himself a large comfortable home and yet, happiness was nowhere to be found. (2: 4)
He sought wealth and found the joy fleeting. (2:8-10)
He sought to work with his own hands and the happiness escaped him. (2:11) We need to seek the Lord first and He will give meaning to our daily lives.

     Ecclesiastes 3:1–8 talks about why the timing and order of our activities are so important. When it comes to order in our lives we have been given instruction as to when and in what order things should happen. We're baptized at eight, receive the priesthood at 12, teacher at 14, priest at 16, elder (usually) around 18. We are told to go on missions at 18, to serve the Lord and His children. We are commanded to marry and then have children. The first thing I thought of when reading about having order in our lives was parenthood. It is so important to be married before having children. Being married eliminates so many stressors and inconsistencies for children and yourself. At this time in my life, my early twenties, I feel that I am doing what the Lord would have me do. I'm finishing up my schooling, raising my young family, and holding fast to the gospel, trying to better comprehend the Lord's sacrifice for me. I'm trying to be a better companion to my spouse and to counsel with him and the Lord. Everything is a work in progress and I am nowhere near perfect. I need to always strive to be better and remember that we learn line upon line. 


     Ecclesiastes talks about how man shouldn't be alone because with the help of others we can be lifted up and warmed. I am lucky to have an amazing husband with whom I can face the trials of this life. We are able to lift up one another when either of us has fallen. I need to continually lift him up as he does me. 
     Chapter five goes on to talk about the riches we gain in this world. We are going to be blessed by the Lord when we live righteously but we need to remember that all that we have comes from the Lord. Without His hand in our lives we would not be granted what we have. It's easy to say that I have worked hard for what I've earned but it still belongs to the Lord. We need to thank Him daily for those blessings. 
     Ecclesiastes chapter twelve verse seven and thirteen through fourteen emphasizes what happens to us when we die, we are able to return to the Lord who created us. We are sent here on earth to keep the Lord's commandments and exercise our agency in doing so. We've been sent here to learn all that we can and continually praise the Lord through our decisions. When we keep our eyes on the glory of the Lord we can live full, righteous lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment